ENGLISH    RUSSIAN  

BACK TO AGROTOURISM

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 History

Panagia is a mountainous picturesque village in Cyprus, located at an altitude of 900m in the Paphos mountain range, at the outskirts of Paphos forest and just 35 minutes from Paphos International Airport. Archbishop Makarios III, the first president of the Republic of Cyprus, was born in Panagia.

Panagia owes its name to the many churches and monasteries, which are in the village or close to it and which are dedicated to our Blessed Virgin Mary. In the centre of the village there is the ancient church of Panagia Eleousa. One mile east of the village is the chapel of Panagia of Sarkas. Half a mile beyond that was another chapel of Panagia of Karyon. One and a half miles southwest of the village is the famous and picturesque monastery of Panagia Chrysorroyiatissa. Fifteen miles east of the village, through the dense forest of Paphos, is the historic and famous Byzantine Monastery of Panagia of Kykkos. So the village of Panagia village is among five churches dedicated to Saint Mary, from which the village took the name. Many times we can find it by the name "Pano Panagia", as it’s one of the tallest areas of the Paphos district.

One tradition says that the village was just below its current position, at the location "Pelekaniaka". The few inhabitants, shepherds then, woodcutters and lumberjacks, were cutting wood from the nearby forest which they used in woodcraft, and manufacturing vessels for kneading bread, and other tools. It is called "Pelekaniaka" because almost all the inhabitants of the village cut wood and produced various household items which they then sold. Bad luck struck however one dreadful night. A terrible earthquake completely destroyed the beautiful village of Pelekaniaka. Today there is a towering cliff, called “the cliff of koukos”, south of the village, and it said that it was directly linked to the destruction of Pelekaniaka. Many years ago, as tradition says, a large part of the cliff tore away due to a strong earthquake and covered the village. A bird says the tradition, wept and warned residents to leave, saying: Pelekaniates you must go because the cliff cracked and it will collapse to swallow you and you will go to Ades.

Today the village is known for its unique wildlife, amongst which is the Mouflon, species which is protected by Cyprus and International laws because it is an endangered species. It is also known for the viticultural zone Vouni Panagias, which is considered by the wine connoisseurs’ in Cyprus as one of the best on the whole island. The historical Chrysoroyiatissa Monastery is nearby. Finally Panagia has a total population of 580.

Monastery Panagia Chrysorogiatissa

The monastery is situated in a beautiful location near the village of Panagia and the forest west of Paphos. Founded in 1152 AD by the monk Ignatius, who found Moulia the miraculous image of the Virgin Mary in Paphos and which according to tradition, is painted by Saint Luke. Ignatius moved the picture to the mountain and built the monastery, which was dedicated to the Virgin Chrysorrogiatissa.
The monastery, whose current buildings date from 1770, has a significant collection of icons and treasures. The church is located in the centre of the monastery. The frescoes of more than three centuries will impress you. The image of Christ and the Virgin Mary as painted by St. Luke the Evangelist is in the monastery and is covered by fabrics and silver.

A protection centre of Byzantine and post-Byzantine icons and other such treasures, functioned within the monastery and recently an Ecclesiastical Treasury was built.
In front of the main entrance of the monastery there is a café-restaurant with a magnificent panoramic view.
On August 15 each year an impressive religious ceremony and celebration takes place. The old winery which you can visit on the inside of the monastery, produces, from its own vineyards, some of the best vintage wines of Cyprus.

 

 


 Agios Georgios Church

The first church in the village was that of the Great Martyr George the trophied, and was built around the 14th century in the basilica rhythm. In 1929 the village had 800 inhabitants and that did not fit in the small church and it was decided by all, to demolish and replace it with a larger one in the same place and in Byzantine style. 1932 saw the completion of this beautiful church and which everyone admires and enjoys because everyone helped to build. On 9th September, there is a great earthquake and the church suffers major damage, the then English government offered 800 pounds to repair the church, but the money was not enough and then Archbishop Makarios III had to take over to repair it at his own expense. Saint George is the patron saint of Panagia village and the doctor for the sick people, the helper and protector of the inhabitants on hard times and drove the Turks away from the village. His memory is celebrated on 23 of April.

 

 


 Panagia Eleousa Church

Around the 14th century in the northeast of the village of Panagia, a small chapel was built dedicated to Panagia Eleousa of Kykkos. Today the church is under the protection of the Cyprus Archaeological Museum. The church has a length of 40 feet long 16 feet wide and is in basilica rhythm. The church is operated on the following dates: 2 February, 25 March, 15 August, 8 September, 21 November and 26 December. The Virgin Eleousa is considered miraculous mostly towards epidemics and deaths. In the old days when there was an epidemic in the village, Virgin Eleousa would visualize herself to the residents and they had to rap cotton around the church to stop the deaths. This custom still exists. The Virgin Eleousa is celebrated on 15 of August.

 

  


 Agios Georgios ton Emnon Chapel

The chapel of Agios Georgios Emnon is in the forest at a distance of 7 miles from the village of Panagia. It was ruined and repaired in 1977. The icon of the saint is in a good condition and there is in the church of the village. The Chapel took its name from the forest area which is called “Emnes”.

 

 

 


  Profitis Elias Chapel

Located south of the village at 3750 feet is the Profitis Elias chapel. It is operated on the 20th of July every year. During Turkish rule the ottoman was looted by the Turks. It survives until today but icons of saints which where looted are in a bad condition.

 

 

 


  Archangelos Michael Chapel

Located west of the village the Archangelos Michael chapel is celebrated each Easter Monday. The icon of the saint is transferred from the church to the chapel for the ceremony. Believers worship the stone that had the cross on it. Today the chapel has been repaired by the inhabitants of the village.

 

 


 Agios Kyriakos Chapel

The chapel of Agios Kyriakos is located north of the village. The saint celebrates on the 29th of September but was operated last time in 1890. The icon is located in the village church because the chapel is in ruins. Nearby is a stone with a hole in the middle. The residents believe that anyone who could pass through the hole would live many years.

 

 

 The Birth Place of Archbishop Makarios III

The family home of Archbishop Makarios III is located in the village center and is now under the supervision of Cyprus cultural services. Anyone can visit the house, where an employee of the museum can guide them around.

 

 


   Folk Art Museum

The Folk Art Museum is owned and run by the Community Council of the village of Panagia. It was purchased from private collector and its overall value is around 70.000 Euros. Located under the building of the Community Council it contains a large collection of traditional objects and works from the village area. It also has a lot of old tools and photos of the inhabitants of Panagia on numerous occasions. Currently it is scheduled to operate only in the morning.

 

 


  Museum of Cultural Foundation Archbishop Makarios III

The museum is located in the building of foundation in the center of the village. It contains a collection of personal objects and photos that belonged to Archbishop Makarios III. It is open at specific daily hours.

  

 


Library of Cultural Foundation

The library is located above the museum building and operates the same time as the Museum of Makarios III. It contains a varying collection of books about history and about culture, as well as books about the community of Panayia and of the life of Archbishop Makarios III. In addition you can find poems and traditional songs.

 

 


 Ecclesiastical Treasury Chrysorrogiatissa Monastery

The creation of a treasury for the monastery was made possible in 2001 following an initiative by Abbot Dionysios and a donation by the Leventis foundation. The Treasury keeps valuables like ancient icons (with the oldest dated in the 14th century), crosses, cherubims, Venetian chandeliers (murano), candles, scripts, vestments, metal sticks used by archpriests, trays used for the Holy Communion (with the oldest dated int the 15th century) and a lot of other things.

 

 


   Gallery and Conference Center

The art gallery features fifty six artworks by Cypriot and foreign artists. These were bought by Abbot Dionysios during the period 1978-2010. The collection includes works by artists G. Kotsonis, A. Makariou, Chr. Foukaras, Soula Leipsou- Yiangou, Mariam Foukara, Rinos, Andreas Asproftas, G. Kepolas, G. Koumoulos, Savvas Christodoulides, Nikos Efstathiou, Eyanthia Kouma, Ioannides, Lazarou, Irene Athanasiou, Avramides, Demetris Palates, Koullis, Tania Gerhard, Anna Kelogregoriade, E. Adamidou, Thraki, L. Stavrou, Yiolanda, Maria Kotsoni, Christos Daniel, Christos Demetriou, A.M. Karagiannis, Katia, Suzan Kerr, John Wilson, Wipper Gilbert, Hikmat Gregorian and George Syrimis..

 

 


 Archbishop Makarios C΄ Hall

In this hall there is a wall painting depicting Archbishop Makarios C΄, holding the scepter of the Church of Cyprus and wearing the red cloak. On the left and right there is an extract from the monastery’s guest book written by the Archbishop on the 27th September 1948 when he was Bishop of Kition and on the 29th August 1951 when he was Archbishop of Cyprus.

 

 


  Chrysorogiatissa Library

The Chrysorrogiatissa monastery, in its effort to promote theology and consequently the anthropology, sociology and cosmology of the Orthodox iconography, established the icon study centre in 2010 in the monastery’s building. The iconology centre aspires to become an international study centre through conventions, publications, hosting of scientists etc. The A.G. Leventis foundation’s donations, have provided a rich library on the subject of icon study. The library is constantly updated and also collaborates with the university of Cyprus library and the department of theological studies of the “Neapolis” university as well with the library of the university. The centre publishes the bi-annual magazine « Εικονοστάσιον» having icon study as its main subject.

 

 

 Panagia Forest

Panagia is at the beginning of Paphos Forest and mainly covered by piney woods. Several areas around the village are covered from other small forests with different trees and wild vegetation.

 

 


 Panagia Vineyards

The vineyards of Panagia are mostly found in “Vouni Panagias” and areas around the mountain where the village is. Situated at an altitude of 1000 meters and above the grapes are “A” class quality. Famous wine names such as Plakota, Pampela, Agios Elias, have all taken their names from the areas on which the vineyards are located.

 

 


 

The Birth Place of Archbishop Makarios III 

The family home of Archbishop Makarios III is located in the village center and is now under the supervision of Cyprus cultural services. Anyone can visit the house, where an employee of the museum can guide them around.

 

 


Kannaviou Dam

The dam of Kannaviou, with a capacity of 18,000,000 m3, was constructed in 2005 on the Ezousa River. The purpose of the dam is to irrigate the area around it and also the mouth of the valley. In addition water is provided to the mountain villages of Paphos which are Panayia, Kannaviou and Asprogia.




 Archbishop Makarios III Statue

Archbishop Makarios was born in the village of Panagia in the district of Paphos, Cyprus on the 13th August 1913. His secular name was Michael Christodoulou Mouskos. He died on 3rd August 1977 in Nicosia. Makarios was archbishop of the autocephalous Orthodox Church of Cyprus from 1950 until his death and was the first president of the Republic of Cyprus from 1960 until his death in 1977.




 Cedar Valley

The Cedar Valley is located northeast of Panagia and is about 25 kilometers from the village between the road from Panagia and Panagia of Kykkos Monastery. The valley is located on a hillside with a perimeter of 6 kilometers. The visitor passing on this road must certainly stop to enjoy the lovely view of the rare cedar trees, which are found in large numbers in this valley of Cyprus.




Stavros tis Psokas

Is a region in the center of the Paphos forest at an altitude of 900 meters and is about 28 kilometers from Panagia village. In Stavros tis Psokas there is a forestry station and camping sites that can accommodate up to 550 people. It is one of the most popular places of the Paphos forest and hosts many of tourists mainly in summer.

 

  


 Mouflon

The mouflon is a subspecies group of the wild sheep Ovis aries. In Cyprus, the mouflon or agrino became a different and endemic species only found here, the Cyprus mouflon (Ovis orientalis ophion). There is a population that is comprised of about 3000 animals only. Visitors can find the mouflon mainly in the Paphos forest.


  


 Vouni Panagias Nature Trail

The area surrounding Panagia village and the summit of Vouni is one of the many regions of Cyprus that hosts rich natural and cultural heritage. For those in search of rest and relaxation, a visit to this area is ideal. In the village you will experience local tradition and culture, while if you walk the nature trail “Vouni Panagias” you will experience the beauty of nature. These features, enhanced by the welcoming hospitality of the local people, guarantee the visitor a pleasant stay.

Panagia is situated at a distance of about 33 kilometers northeast of the city of Pafos (30 minutes by car), it is the highest village in the Pafos District (altitude 1146 m) and according to the 2011 census it has population of 481 inhabitants. The village is named Panagia for the Virgin Mary, who is highly honoured in the vicinity.

To the northeast of Panagia is Vretsia, an abandoned Turkish Cypriot village, while to the south are the villages of Koilineia, Galataria and Statos-Agios Fotios, and to the east are Asprogia and Mamoundali, another abandoned Turkish Cypriot village. To the north there is the Pafos main state forest. The most prominent peaks in this region are Vouni-Profitis Elias (alt. 1146m). Moutti tis Koutsoullas in the northwest (alt. 842.). Axylofos in the south (alt. 807m) and Agios Ioannis in the southeast (alt. 879m).

Most of the trail falls within the area of the Natura 2000 network. The trail crosses through vineyards, small forested areas and other cultivated land. It also includes several listed view points and cliffs. The trail begins at the town square where the Communal Board is located and where there is a car park. The trail is well marked with arrow-shaped signs to guide the hiker. The lowest altitude is 850 m and the highest is 1146 m.

The trail up to the Profitis Elias country church (at the top of Vouni peak) is 3000 meters in length, with walking time estimated at one and a half to two hours, depending on walking pace. The first part of the trail (about 2000 m) gradually ascends and the view continually expands to reveal a variety of diverse landscapes including vast vineyards, impressive cliffs, forests and ravines. Towards the top of the hill, the last section of the trail (about 1000 m long) follows a nearly level course to reach the church of Profitis Elias.

 
 

 Biggest Cypress

Panagia is at the beginning of Paphos Forest and mainly covered by piney woods. Several areas around the village covered  from other small forests with different trees and wild vegetation

 

 


 Flora and Fauna

Around the village Panagia and mainly in Vouni Panagia area there are more than 650 species of plants, including trees, shrubs and rare plants. The stunning natural vegetation dominates the entire year and is one of the main reasons is because the landscape is unrivaled. Extremely rare species of predator birds and wildlife, inhabit on the Vouni Panagias area. The four largest mammal species indigenous to Cyprus roam the mountain sides. One of them, the Cyprus Mouflon, appears only in the Paphos Forest and near of Panagia village area.

 

 


 

Archbishop Makarios III  Livestock Farm 

The farm which Makarios family had and Makarios himself worked there in his childhood, is located northwest from Panayia somewhere 3-4 miles away from the village, in the forest near the area "kavatzia". Now is an abandoned building.

 

 


Monachilakas Picnic Site

The picnic area Monachilakas is located 2 kilometers from Panagia and built by the Forestry Department. A place very quiet which is suitable for relaxation, excursions, camping and fresh air specially in the summer.




 Sunset

At various points in "vouni Panagias" a visitor can enjoy one of the best sunsets around Cyprus. The view is incredible. You have in front of you the whole village of Panagia, the Akamas bay and the whole Paphos district while watching the sunset.

 

 

 Climbing

Vouni Panagias Nature Trail, with its varying altitude and rugged terrain, covers an area of nearly 10 kilometers and ideal for climbing. The route passes through vineyards and the area Natura 2000 "Vouni Panagias." On the route there are large rocks and rocky slopes which are ideal for climbing. Towards the end, the walker can choose between two paths. One leads to Panagia Chrysorroyiatissa monastery and then to the village   and the other, shorter, leading directly to the village. There is access to the fire lookout station  of the Forest Department.

 

 Vouni Panagias Winery

The Vouni Panayias Winery is one of the most modern wineries in Cyprus. Located at the entrance of Panayia it is one of the jewels of the village. This is a winery with modern visiting locations such as a tasting room and restaurant. The winery is famous because the grapes of the area make the wines of this winery unique.

 

 


 Monde Royia Winery

The Monastery of Chrysorrogiatissa, has long maintained a winery within its grounds. Indications from about 1751 A.D. while also from written testimonies from the nineteen thirties proving the existence of a winery in the monastery. During the abbacy of Abbot Dionysius a new winery was constructed in the Cloister. Agios Andronicos (Dry white wine), Agios Elias (Dry red wine) and Agia Marina (Rose dry wine) are some of the best wines that the winery produce. All the wines are made by the monastery own.

 

 

Archontiko tou Meletiou


Meletios' mansion (Archontiko tou Meletiou), next to Makarios III Museum in the beautiful village of Panagia, is a complex of buildings only recently renovated for the Agrotourism programme. All apartments command a view of the large stone-paved courtyard with its traditional earthenware jars. Meletios' mansion, built more than 200 years ago, consists of one two-bedroom and two one-bedroom houses as well as a studio with its own fireplace. The balcony on the top floor bears a commanding view of the valley. Undoubtedly an inspired choice in an atmosphere promising a truly tranquil and peaceful stay.

 

02  03  04  05  06  07  08  09

 

10

 

 

Panagia village, 8640 Paphos-Cyprus, 11 Anexartisias avenue

FOR RESERVATIONS: Tel: +357 99 518000

 


 

 

Oniro Hotel


Meletios' mansion (Archontiko tou Meletiou), next to Makarios III Museum in the beautiful village of Panagia, is a complex of buildings only recently renovated for the Agrotourism programme. All apartments command a view of the large stone-paved courtyard with its traditional earthenware jars. Meletios' mansion, built more than 200 years ago, consists of one two-bedroom and two one-bedroom houses as well as a studio with its own fireplace. The balcony on the top floor bears a commanding view of the valley. Undoubtedly an inspired choice in an atmosphere promising a truly tranquil and peaceful stay.

 

Oniro Hotel 01 THUB  Oniro Hotel 02 THUB  ONIRO HOTEL 03 THUB  Oniro Hotel 04 THUB  Oniro Hotel 05 THUB  ONIRO HOTEL 06 THUB  Oniro Hotel 07 THUB  Oniro Hotel 08 THUB

 

Panagia village,8640 Paphos-Cyprus, 78 Archiepiskopou Makariou III Avenue

FOR RESERVATIONS: Tel: +357 26 722434, 26 722929 - Fax: +357 26 722974

e-mail: Αυτή η διεύθυνση ηλεκτρονικού ταχυδρομείου προστατεύεται από τους αυτοματισμούς αποστολέων ανεπιθύμητων μηνυμάτων. Χρειάζεται να ενεργοποιήσετε τη JavaScript για να μπορέσετε να τη δείτε.

 

 


 

 

Palati of Xylari


In the heart of Panagia village lies a magnificent, stone built complex, the Palati (Palace) of Xylari, consisting of four apartments, one of which is a miniature of a Mycenean palace built some 250 years ago, using stone from the mountains of Panagia. The most impressive and at the same time traditional room is the hearth, a sitting room area with traditional decor. The other three apartments date back to the end of the previous century and they also preserve, in their entirety, their traditional character. From the two balconies of the complex, you can listen to the sounds of the boundless mountains, and in the courtyard you will spend many beautiful and relaxing afternoons.

 

01  02  03  04  05  06  07

 

08  09  10  

 

Panagia village,8640 Paphos-Cyprus, 6 Demosthenous street
FOR RESERVATIONS: Tel: +357 99 436257

 




Liakoto


Next to Makarios III Museum you will find Liakoto, a beautiful stone-built complex consisting of a two-bedroom apartment and a studio on the second storey of the building. On the lower level of the House you will find a large dining room with a fireplace, bar and kitchen, while the courtyard is a unique oasis of beautiful flowers, olive trees and featuring the characteristic large earthenware jar. Liakoto has its own private parking space. Your stay here will imprint permanent marks of satisfaction, inner joy and peace.

 

01  02  03

 

Panagia village,8640 Paphos-Cyprus, 7 Anexartisias avenue
FOR RESERVATIONS: Tel: +357 26 935597

 

 


 

 

Mouskos House


A traditional and historical stone-built residence bearing the family name ' Mouskos '. The house was the residence of the father of Archbishop Makarios III where he lived for the last 43 years of his life. Some pieces of the furniture used are the original ones. The house is situated at the edge of the village very close to the Paphos Forest and has been fully restored and converted into 1 one-bedroom flat and 1 studio. Both flats have their own original fire places, a fully equipped kitchen, shower, toilet and central heating. They enjoy a large stone paved veranda and a courtyard with mature trees. A stone built oven as well as the traditional 'linos' where the grapes were foot-pressed for their juice are still in working order.

 

01  02  03  04  05  06  07      

 

08  09  10

 

Panagia village,8640 Paphos-Cyprus, 35 Steliou Demokritou street
FOR RESERVATIONS: Tel: +357 99 678013

 

 


Stelios House


Stelios' House (To Spiti tou Steliou) is a beautiful stone-built house in Panagia near Makarios III Museum dating back to 1850. The house consists of a sitting room area - the makrinari - with dominating element the big stone-built fireplace and a bedroom on the top floor with a balcony commanding a view of the village and the surrounding mountains. The stone-paved courtyard with the large traditional earthenware jars is beautiful and the climbing vine creates plenty of shade for the hot days of summer.

 

 

01  02  03  04  05

 

 

Panagia village,8640 Paphos-Cyprus, 5 Anexartisias Avenue
FOR RESERVATIONS: Tel: +357 99 433094

 

 

 

 

 

 Vouni Panayia Restaurant

  Panayia village,8640 Paphos-Cyprus

  Archiepiskopou Makariou III avenue

  Tel 26 722770, 99 453138

  Fax 26 922879

 

  

 


   Oniro Hotel - Restaurant

  Panayia village,8640 Paphos-Cyprus

  78 Archiepiskopou Makariou III avenue

  Tel: +357 26 722434, 26 722929

  Fax: +357 26 722974

  e-mail: Αυτή η διεύθυνση ηλεκτρονικού ταχυδρομείου προστατεύεται από τους αυτοματισμούς αποστολέων ανεπιθύμητων μηνυμάτων. Χρειάζεται να ενεργοποιήσετε τη JavaScript για να μπορέσετε να τη δείτε.

 

 


  Cedar Restaurant

  Panayia village,8640 Paphos-Cyprus

  71 Archiepiskopou Makariou III avenue

  Tel: 99 464586

 

 

 

 


   Green Leaf Restaurant

   Panayia village,8640 Paphos-Cyprus

   74 Archiepiskopou Makariou III avenue

 

 

 

 

 


  Chrysorogiatissa Restaurant Church

  Moni Chrysorogiatissas, 8640, Pano Panagia
  Tel: +357 26 722 457

 

 

 

 

 

 Community Council

 Panayia Village, 8640, Chrysorrogiatissis 12 street

Tel: 26 724080 - Fax:26 722064

 

 

Members of Community Council

Georgiou Michael / President  πρόεδρος
Chagiannis Andreas / Vice President  αντιπρόεδρος 
Kyriakides Rogiros
Christoforou Marios
Nicolaou Savvas
Neofytou Andreas

 

VILLAGE MAP

  

Vouni Panagia Walking Trail

Panagia Walking Trail MAP THUBNAIL

    

Vouni Panagia WINE ROUTE

 PANAGIA ROUTE THUBNAIL

   

Scroll to Top